Local Studies Library
The Local Studies Library is located within Doncaster Central Library on Waterdale. The Library holds historical and contemporary sources and records relating to the borough of Doncaster and adjacent local authorities.
Newspaper and periodicals dating from 1785 to the present day
Trade and street directories, electoral registers and biographies of local people
Historical illustrations including photographs, postcards, glass negatives, engravings and lantern slides
Family history resources including military records, burial and cemetery registers, census returns, marriage indexes, International Genealogical Index (IGI)
Maps and plans of the Doncaster district and whole of Yorkshire dating from 1577
Specialised maps and plans relating to canals, railways, prominent buildings, geology, land use and land classification
Ephemera featuring sporting and leisure programmes, playbills and election leaflets
Council minutes and Local Acts
Special Collections relating to coal-mining, railways and horse-racing
A number of facilities and services are also available at the Library (charges apply for some services):
- Advice on family and local history research
- Free access to online genealogy resources including Find My Past and Ancestry
- Research services for: local history topics, planning applications, and proof of residency
- Microfilm access by appointment
- Photocopying from Local Studies Library material
- Group visits by appointment
- Photographic reproduction service
The Local Studies Library is open to all – the only requirement is a library card which you can sign up for at the Local Studies Library or at any other library in Doncaster. Library membership is free.
Get in touch for more information on Local Studies services and resources.