Museum Loans Service
The Museum Loans Service has a rich and varied collection including natural history specimens, social history artefacts, models and artwork.
Resources are used to provide support in the classroom after a museum/education visit; as handling objects for interactive learning; and for display in exhibitions. The loans service is a free to Doncaster Council schools. Academies, independent schools and others are welcome to also access the service, although charges apply.
Take a nostalgic trip into the past through a wide range of stimulating and original resource materials. Suitable for Nursing Homes, Hospitals, Day Centres, and those who work with older and inter-generational groups.
30 themed sets are available to borrow, featuring handling objects, aroma bottles, audio and visual media, clothing and photographs from different decades throughout the 20th century.
Themes for the collection have been chosen to appeal to all members of society, regardless of social or cultural background. Childhood Memories, In the Kitchen, Hobbies, Sports and Pastimes are just a few of the topics to choose from. An information pack is included with each themed set. This contains ideas, activities and advice to help staff without any reminiscence experience to run sessions within their own establishment.
To order simply ‘add the item’ to your shopping cart and complete your details when you checkout. Payment is collected on delivery of the requested loan set. Delivery and collection can also be arranged upon request for a small charge. Loans are for two weeks. For Health and Safety reasons, the Reminiscence sets are not recommended for use in schools.
Delivery and Collection of Loans
We drop off loans at schools and collect them again to save you the hassle. Schools are grouped into different areas and we have set days for delivery and collection within each area. Find out what area your school is in and view Area schedules below.
- Area 1 schedule
- Area 2 schedule
- Area 3 schedule
- Area 4 schedule
- Area 5 schedule
- Reminiscence Loans delivery and collection schedule
Conditions of loan
- Items should be checked immediately on receipt
- The borrower is responsible for the care, security and safety of items on point of delivery until they are collected
- Please report loss or damage immediately to the Museum Loans office
- All loss and damage will be charged to the school
- Objects and paintings should not be displayed in direct sunlight or next to a room heater
- Please do not attempt to repair any damaged items as this may damage the item further
- Personal loans must be returned to the loans site on the return date unless prior arrangement has been made for a collection or loan extension
- Personal loans not returned to the loans site on the return date will incur an overdue charge of £10 per day
- Whilst items are on loan it is the responsibility of the loan institution to ensure items are handled appropriately by pupils, teachers and/or members of the public. No responsibility will be taken by Doncaster Council for any physical injury sustained by persons using items from Doncaster Museum Loans Service collection
- Items in your care must not be placed on loan to a secondary institution
- Depending on availability, loan periods can be extended by contacting the Loans Service the day before collection
- Please ensure that all units are in a central area on the collection date
For further information, please contact us.